Important Updates for Fall 2021
4 MIN. READ
We are less than 50 days away from the start of classes, and we’re excited to welcome you to campus this fall! We’re steadily making progress this summer regarding all the details that are part of restoring the in-person campus experience, and many campus renovations are in progress.
Our community is our strength, and relationships have always been what AU is known for. This fall we have two goals: 1) build back to a normal campus experience while 2) maintaining a healthy campus community.
Anderson University strongly recommends the COVID-19 vaccine, but doesn’t require it. Whether or not you choose to get vaccinated, we’re excited to have you at AU. We believe the choice is for you and your family. We’re excited to welcome you — so come as you are.
Safety is our top priority
Below we have some important details to share about AU’s safety protocols this fall.
Monitoring the virus on campus
AU will be gathering a baseline for our infection rate at the start of the school year through a planned re-entry test for unvaccinated individuals. With this, we’ll need proof of a negative test result administered 3-5 days prior to your re-entry. This test can be a PCR or rapid test, and must list the results and the date administered by the provider.
- Any residential, commuter, adult, or graduate students taking in-person courses should plan to be tested 3-5 days prior to their re-entry or move-in date.
- Any students who are vaccinated or taking online classes will not be required for re-entry testing.
- Unvaccinated employees should plan to be tested 3-5 days before re-entry or the first day of classes.
- We strongly recommend you schedule your test 2-4 weeks in advance, as clinics get busy before schools reopen. For free testing, consult your state or county health department website.
Additionally, if COVID-19 infection rates spike on campus throughout the year, please know that AU will respond by building intervals for unvaccinated individuals to be tested.
Measuring herd immunity
Students, faculty, and staff will be required to complete a form of their COVID-19 vaccine prior to their return-to-campus date, indicating if the vaccine has been waived or received. Your completed form is due by Friday, August 13.
This summer, we have successfully navigated through lifting the mask requirement on campus and it is our intention we remain mask-free for the duration of the academic year. The factors we are monitoring in our campus mask decision-making include: herd immunity, the prevalence of the new delta variant, state/county requirements, and spikes of cases on campus. Here is a link to our previous communication with all the details.
Planning to schedule your vaccine?
If you’re planning to get vaccinated prior to the start of classes, the window of time needed to get a two-dose vaccine and begin building your body’s immunity is shrinking. We recommend completing your COVID-19 vaccine 14+ days before returning to campus and this vaccine finder website can help you find a convenient location near you.
Important re-entry dates:
- Football move-in: Monday, 8/10
- RA move-in: Sunday, 8/15
- Volleyball move-in: Tuesday, 8/17
- Soccer move-in: Tuesday, 8/17
- Cross Country move-in: Saturday, 8/21
- Women’s Golf move-in: Saturday, 8/21
- Women’s Tennis move-in: Saturday, 8/21
- Student leaders move-in: Sunday, 8/22
- New students move-in & orientation: Thursday, 8/26
- Returning students move-in: Saturday & Sunday, 8/28-29
- Classes begin: Monday, 8/30
We know being a community amidst the pandemic is hard, but we’re excited about the new campus renovations happening right now and to be planning CAB events, a fall and spring sports season, and Tri-S programs. We’re ready to welcome you to campus!
God bless, go Ravens!
The COVID-19 Taskforce
Anderson University is on a mission to educate students for lives of faith and service, offering more than 60 undergraduate majors, 30 three-year degrees, 20 NCAA Division III intercollegiate sports, alongside adult and graduate programs. The private, liberal arts institution is fully accredited and recognized among top colleges for its business, computer science, cybersecurity, dance, engineering, nursing, and teacher education programs. Anderson University was established in 1917 in Anderson, Indiana, by the Church of God.