Our dance program is a rare find! Anderson University is one of the few Christian universities to offer a degree in dance.
The dance program at Anderson University balances mind, body, and spirit. Our goal is to create an environment where students explore creativity and movement. The program encourages students to experience faith and spirituality and excel in dance academics and theory.
Core requirements include technique courses in ballet (Vagonova and Cecchetti), modern, and jazz, as well as improvisation, and partnering for ballet and modern. Because we focus on excellence, courses in the AU dance program are taught by some of the finest professionals in the field, including guest choreographers and guest faculty.
Why choose AU?
- A flexible degree with individualized attention. Students can create their own college experience focused on their passions and career goals with small classes that let faculty get to know them as individuals.
- Highly skilled and experienced faculty. At Anderson University, our dance faculty members are practicing professionals in the fields of dance, theatre, or musical theatre.
- A comprehensive curriculum. Dance majors are required to take a variety of core courses. They also have the flexibility to choose their focus and select from a variety of related courses across campus to complete their individual dance degree.
- Rethink. Reinvent. Reimagine. Our dancers focus on refining the body, sharpening the mind, and exploring an open environment to deepen connections between spirit and faith, becoming well-balanced individuals with the skills to pursue professional interests and servant leadership.
Students in the dance program at Anderson University have opportunities to choreograph works for the main stage and audition for guest artist works. While here, students can also attend and participate in ACDA, NDEO, IADMS, PAMA, APDF, and IDTA conferences and festivals with the option of earning college credit. Our dancers are encouraged to intern and spend a great deal of time honing their craft, their understanding of movement, and their expression of faith. Scholarships are available.
We prepare dance majors for careers in performance, choreography, business, teaching, science, therapeutic practices, or higher education depending on their skills and interests. With a common core, students are empowered to discover their strengths and passions and then pursue them with excellence. Focused study in one of the concentrated tracks prepares students for careers or further study.
- Graduate with a BA in Dance in four years.
- Complete the 4+1 program, from BA to MBA.
- Pursue a complementary major in dance alongside your primary major.
- Earn an 18-hour minor in dance.
Choose your path:
- Performance prepares students for careers in performance and choreography. It also creates a foundation for graduate study in dance and a variety of related fields.
- Business prepares students to own or manage their own studio or to manage a company. It sets the groundwork for them to serve as artistic directors or continue their study with graduate work in a variety of dance-related fields.
- Pedagogy is based on NDEO Accrediting Standards to prepare students to teach in studios or pursue graduate study. This path of study helps students prepare for (or seek concurrent) CiDE Certification in Dance Education, which is necessary for work in K-12 classrooms.
- Science prepares students for careers in performance or as company techs, studio techs, or health techs. It serves well in preparation for EMT or paramedic certification, massage therapy, or graduate study in dance, biomechanics, dance kinesiology, or somatic/expressive/dance therapy.
Each track of the BA in Dance has its own goals for career preparation. All dance program tracks prepare students for graduate study in dance performance, history, anthropology, cultural studies, or performance studies.
Students perform in two major dance events each year, and in Anderson University’s Candles and Carols event, the annual Christmas concert. Student annual performance opportunities include:
- Fall Into Dance
- Spring Into Dance
- Candles and Carols
- Faculty and guest artist concerts
- Opportunities to audition for AU’s musical theatre and opera productions
- Select off-campus events
The classes for the dance program include:
- Dance as a Profession
- Dance in Global Community
- Dance Composition
- Dance Improvisation
- Technique classes in modern dance, ballet, jazz, and/or tap
Summer Dance Intensive
Learn more about AU’s week-long dance intensive, which offers high school and college students experiential training in a variety of dance forms. The program includes yoga, pilates, modern dance, ballet, jazz, world dance, improvisation, and repertory.
OUR DANCE FACULTY
Let’s connect during your campus visit.
Receive a curated list of programs to explore for your college career.