Indiana Faith and Writing Conference
The English Department at Anderson University is pleased to host the Indiana Faith & Writing Conference. From 2014-2017, the IFWC welcomed writers of faith to our campus to learn, study, network, and share with others. Our keynote speakers have included incredible poets, songwriters, novelists, and memoirists, including Gloria Gaither, Scott Russell Sanders, Susanna Childress Banner, Lisa Sharon Harper, Li-Young Lee, Addie Zierman, and Frank X Walker, and many more.
In 2019, the IFWC has shifted its focus away from hosting an annual conference and is now sponsoring free literary events for our community of writers. We look forward to continuing to provide opportunities for writers of faith to come together to celebrate the ways that literature, craft, storytelling, and community can change us and change the world we live in.
Sign up for email updates, and we’ll be sure to let you know what is coming next.
Purpose and Reach
The Indiana Faith and Writing Conference will build on the established foundation, providing publishing opportunities for those communicating the Good News through the written word while mentoring writers to create works of literary and academic excellence.
The Indiana Faith and Writing Conference, hosted by the Anderson University English Department, welcomes speakers, presenters, and conferees from a wide variety of faith traditions. In keeping with the Anderson University Ethos Statement, we intend to maintain a “free and open atmosphere” where ideas can flourish and where faith and understanding can be challenged and grow, and we believe that books can be “important regardless of whether all agree with each word or idea expressed.” The Indiana Faith and Writing Conference offers many options for attending breakout sessions, participating in workshops, and visiting tables and booths; conferees are always free to attend and participate as they feel led.
Past Featured Speakers
We have invited a number of dynamic, challenging speakers to the Indiana Faith & Writing Conference! We have invited poets, novelists, essayists, songwriters, and more to share their craft and their words with us.
Past featured speakers:
- Matt Bays (2017 keynote)
- Addie Zierman (2016 keynote)
- Susanna Childress (2016 featured speaker)
- Frank X Walker (2016 featured speaker)
- Alex Marestaing (2016 featured speaker)
- Gloria Gaither (2015 keynote)
- Scott Russell Sanders (2015 featured speaker)
- Li-Young Lee (2015 featured speaker)
- Phillip Gulley (2014 featured speaker)
- Lisa Sharon Harper (2014 featured speaker)
- Ken Abraham (2014 featured speaker)
We have previously offered workshops on Fiction, Nonfiction, Poetry, Screenwriting, the Writing Life, the Spiritual Practice of Writing, Publishing, and Special Topics. Listed are some of our favorite sessions from recent years.
- Writing Fantasy for a Christian Market, Michele Israel Harper
- Write it Brief(ly): Flash Fiction & Flash Creative Nonfiction, Nathaniel Lee Hansen
- Hacking Your Poem: How to Take a Bad, Good, or Nearly Perfect Poem and Make it Better, David Wright
- The Power of Point of View, Angela Jackson-Brown
- Show and Tell and Show Around: On Learning How and When to Submit Your Work, Angela Doll Carlson
- The Slow Build of a Sustainable Writing Career, Ed Cyzewksi
- Courageous Composing at the Cross(roads): Reconciliation, Race, Privilege, and Empathy, Mary-Alice Trent
- Soup Beans and Sweet Potato Pie: Writing Fiction with Authentic Regional Flavor, Deborah Miller-Fox
- Building a Better Box: the Literary Art of Flash Fiction, Aaron Housholder
- Screenwriting Secrets to Writing Great Characters & Great Scenes, Neville Kiser
- Finding Success in the YA and Middle Grade Markets, Alex Marestaing