Undergraduate International Student Application Process
STEP 1: Admission Process
Please read the information below carefully and if you have any questions, please email our Counselor for Multicultural Outreach and Recruitment to receive additional information and support. After submission of required materials, applicants are individually considered for academic eligibility. Step 1 must be completed by:
- June 1 for Fall (August) Semester enrollment
- Oct. 1 for Spring (January) semester enrollment
1b. Submit academic transcripts from all institutions attended. If attended institutions are outside of US, transcripts evaluation required.
Credits earned through educational institutions located outside of the United States will be considered for acceptance after an appropriate evaluation through a NACES accredited member. Educational institutions must be recognized by the Ministry of Education (or other accrediting body) of the respective country in order for credit to be accepted. Students may be required to send their documents to an evaluation agency for a course-by-course evaluation report. An official copy of this report should be sent directly from the evaluation company to the firstname.lastname@example.org. This report will then be reviewed to determine acceptable transfer credit.
1c. Submit an official score report from TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo. This is required if English is not the first or primary spoken language.
- Minimum TOEFL Minimum Requirements:
- IBT (Internet-Based) score of 78
- BT (Paper-Based) score of 72 – UPDATED
- CBT (Computer-Based) score of 210
- Minimum IELTS Requirement: 6.0
- Minimum Duolingo Requirement: 105 (this change is in effect as of Summer 2022 enrollment)
- Proof of English proficiency may be waived on a case-by-case basis for those students who have attended secondary school in an English-speaking (instruction) school. Please contact your admission counselor to discuss the waiver.
1d. Submit an Application Essay (for those that didn’t submit an essay via Common App).
- Your Educational Goals
- Your Faith Journey
- Why Did You Decide to Apply to AU (include your intended major)
1e. Copy of Passport Profile Page.
1f. File Affidavit of Support and include bank statement.
- Must be on bank letterhead.
- Must be signed by a bank manager or stamped with an official stamp from the bank.
- The total balance must be equal to or greater than the amount of pledged support.
- The balance must be in US dollars.
- If needed, ask bank rep to do a letter including the exchange rate and then sign the letter.
- Must be no more than 6 months old at time of submission.
Email Scott Cagnet to receive additional information and support if necessary.
Once Step 1 has been completed, an I-20 is ready to be issued.
STEP 2: Submit Enrollment Deposit
2a. Submit enrollment deposit: $200 (non-refundable after May 1).
2b. Send I-20 mailing address & phone number.
- Physical Address (no P.O. boxes): Address must be recognized by FedEx
- Street Number
- Street Name
- Zip Code
- A phone number where FedEx can reach you if there are problems with the delivery.
Note: Currently, I-20s can be submitted electronically. For those that must be mailed, first and second I-20 forms are mailed without a cost to the student. If a third I-20 is mailed, there will be a $50 charge to cover the cost of mailing. Anderson University does not issue more than three I-20 forms. Make sure you take all appropriate documents to your Visa appointment. Information on Visa Denials can be found here.
STEP 3: Receive I-20 and Apply for Visa Application
Do not make travel plans until you have been issued your visa. Information on the process can be found here. The sooner you apply for your Visa, the better. Review the visa processing times to learn more. For questions throughout this process contact your admissions counselor or Scott Cagnet.
3a. Receive your I-20 Package.
- Read all the information.
3b. Pay the $410 SEVIS Fee. (Note: the fee must be paid at least three business days before your scheduled interview.)
3c. Complete the online Visa Application.
3d. Upload your photo to complete the online process.
3e. Pay the Visa Application Fee of $160. (Note: the fee must be paid before you set your visa appointment.)
- If your visa is approved, you may also pay a visa issuance fee, if applicable to your nationality.
3f. Schedule a Visa interview at the United States Embassy. Please visit the student visa page for more information.
- Email Visa appointment date to the Center for Intercultural Engagement and Immigration Advisor.
3g. Take all appropriate documents to your Visa appointment:
- Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 confirmation page
- Signed I-20 form
- I-901 SEVIS fee receipt
- Visa application payment receipt
- Affidavit of Support and supporting documents in English
- Letter from the Office of Student Financial Services
- Letter of Admissions
- Letter from International Student Services
- Passport-size photographs
- Additional documentation may be required: standardized test scores, transcripts, diplomas, degrees, or certificates from schools you attended
3h. Email the results of your Visa application to the Center for Intercultural Engagement and Immigration Advisor.
STEP 4: Prepare for Stateside Arrival
After receiving approval of your Visa application, the Center for Intercultural Engagement (CIE) will become your primary contact.
4a. Complete and submit AU’s housing application.
- Complete & submit the Report of Health History
- Submit a copy of immunization records to the housing department
4b. Communicate with Center for Intercultural Engagement and your admissions counselor to register for courses.
4c. Make airline reservations for the trip to Anderson.
- Fly into Indianapolis International Airport, Indianapolis, Indiana (IND)
- Anderson University is 98 km from the airport
- Make sure to arrive in time for International Orientation
- Email flight information to an admissions counselor
4d. Communicate with Center for Intercultural Engagement for airport pick up ($75 pick up fee).
4e. Notify your family and friends of your new address so they can write and send you packages. Your new address will be:
c/o Anderson University
1100 East Fifth Street
Anderson, IN 46012