Want to make a difference? Make teaching science your mission. The TeachScience major at Anderson University prepares students to teach science in middle schools or high schools. Teaching science has its unique challenges:
- How do you develop and run labs on a shoe-string budget?
- What about lab safety?
- How do you communicate your excitement about science to your students?
Start your AU story
This program is interdisciplinary.
This complementary major offers science students all of the learning and practical experiences needed to meet the state requirements for teacher certification. This major may only be combined with a catalog major in biology, chemistry, or physics, and cannot stand alone to meet graduation requirements. Program objectives include:
- emphasis on Christ-like servant ways in the development of a professional educator, strengthened by a liberal arts program;
- teaching as a mission to serve adolescents and young adults;
- the student’s completion of a traditional major in an area of science while pursuing advanced study in science and/or education;
- unique combination of secondary school experience and content area instruction;
- early opportunities for students to explore science teaching as a potential career;
- entrance into the program at any stage in the student’s educational journey, based on individual needs and circumstances; and
- program completion within four years for most students.
What classes will I take?
- Science Teaching Methods I
- Teaching as a Profession
- Educational Assessment for the Classroom Teacher
- Student Teaching
- Management, Organization, and Methods in the Secondary Classroom
- Leadership Seminar in Character Education
What experiences will I have?
The TeachScience program at Anderson University will get you ready. Teaching science is an excellent way to impact the world for Christ. Educating future generations of bright people who are problem solvers with a heart for God is a great way to change the world.
- Graduate in four years. TeachScience students graduate as fully licensed science teachers with a science major in four years. This is unusual. At other colleges, students often complete five years of study and still do not have as extensive a background in science as AU’s TeachScience graduates.
- Gain experience. Students get experience in the classroom early on to see if teaching is for them. TeachScience students help in the department as paid lab assistants to the AU science faculty and learn firsthand how to run a lab.