Why Choose Music Business in the AU School of Music, Theatre, and Dance?
Our 53-hour music business major is designed for musicians who want to find their place in one of the many facets of the music business. Students take a core of music classes, then specialize in one of the following areas:
- Audio Forensics
- Record Production
Through Orangehaus Records and Orangehaus Publishing, students gain practical experience in the business of music, from developing projects to running the recording studio. Students network with industry professionals throughout the program, especially in their senior-level internship.
Music Business Major (53 hours)
- Core Courses (38 hours)
- MUSC 1010, 1020, 1030, 1040, 2210
- MUBS 2010, 2020, 3470
- 4 hours of MUBS 4900
- MUPF 1050, 1060
- 4 hours of applied music lessons
- 4 hours of ensembles
- BSNS 3320, 3330
Select one of the following tracks (15 hours):
- Entrepreneurship Track
- MUBS 2450, 3100, 3380, 3450, 3470
- 2 hours of MUBS 4800
- 2 hours of MUBS electives
- BSNS 4400
- Audio Forensics Track
- CRIM 2520
- MUBS 3210, 3550, 4850, 4870
- Record Production Track
- MUBS 3210, 3220, 3370, 3450, 3470
- 2 hours of MUBS 4800
- 2 hours of MUSC 4950
- Songwriting Track
- MUBS 2070, 2450, 3100, 3450, 3470, 4500
- 6 hours of MUPF 2900 or 4900
An English minor or writing minor is recommended for students in the songwriting track.
Orangehaus Music Business Camp
Learn more about AU’s Orangehaus Music Business Camp for high school students that offers experiential training in songwriting, producing, and performing.
- Audio Forensics: Students acquire, analyze, and evaluate sound recordings that may be presented as admissible evidence in a court of law or some other official venue.
- Entrepreneurship: Students explore the music industry to learn skills for starting and marketing their own music business.
- Record Production: Students explore techniques in sound production, processing, reproduction, and how to set up their own home studio.
- Songwriting: Students learn songwriting skills that lead to the development and marketing of a portfolio of original songs.
Your AU Story Begins Now
The professors at AU created an atmosphere where we could make mistakes and it would be okay. We learned together. I think back often to those times and know that it was in that season where I was prepared for the daily challenges I face. It’s because of the relationships that God ordained in my life that I was able to work on award-winning projects, including a Dove Award, a Grammy Award, and an Emmy Award. I’m very blessed to do what I love and now I get to teach students what was taught to me!
Daniel Howell BA ’09
OUR Music Business FACULTY
Let’s connect during your campus visit.
Receive a curated list of programs to explore for your college career.