School of Music, Theatre, and Dance
Master of Music Education
The Master of Music Education at Anderson University is designed for the practicing music educator who has one or more years of experience as a music teacher. The 32-hour degree is a hybrid program with courses completed online, at a distance through Skype or similar platforms, and in residence. Most courses can be completed during summer sessions (six weeks of coursework each summer), though a limited number of evening classes during the academic year may be required. Separate tracks of study are available for instrumental, choral, and general music specialists. Students may also pursue three levels of Orff Schulwerk Certification as part of this degree program or other courses from the Summer Studies in Music Education program. The MME program is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music.
Start your AU story
Student Requirements for Admission
- A completed Master of Music Education application
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution
- Valid teacher’s license
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended
- Two recommendations related to teaching and musical abilities (form below)
- Writing sample
- Interview with music education faculty
For more information, contact the School of Music, Theatre, and Dance at (765) 641-4544; toll-free (800) 619-3047; fax (765) 641-3809.
MME Recommendation Form
Core Courses 18-20 hours
- Philosophy and History of Music Education 3 hrs.
- Bibliography and Research 3 hrs.
- Psychology of Music 3 hrs.
- Graduate Music Theory 3 hrs.
- Music History 3 hrs.
- World Music 2 hrs.
- Thesis in Music Education 3 hrs. OR Professional Project in Music Education 1 hr.
Music Education Elective Courses 12-14 hours
- Level I Orff Certification 3 hrs.
- Level II Orff Certification 3 hrs.
- Level III Orff Certification 3 hrs.
- Orff Curriculum 2 hrs.
- Orff Technology 1 hr
- Dalcroze Eurhythmics — Beginning and Intermediate 2 hrs.
- Percussion (Drumming) in the General Music Classroom 1-2 hrs.
- Conversational Solfege 2 hrs.
- First Steps in Music 2 hrs.
- Selected Topics in Music Education 1-3 hrs.
Other Music Theory, Private Lessons, and Conducting electives are available.
For full requirements and additional program information, view the Graduate Catalog.
Master of Music Education Costs
- Per semester hour: $400
- Application fee: $25
- Some courses are also offered for no credit at a lower rate.
Let’s connect during your campus visit.
No team member found