We are so very sorry to say that due to unforeseen circumstances, we will have to cancel our swim lesson program for this fall/winter season. We plan to start up our regular lessons next semester. Sign ups will start mid November and we will be back in business with the swim lessons that you have come to expect.
Again, we are so very sorry for this inconvenience! Please send any questions to email@example.com.
Emma Maubach and Jim Scott
Expected skills at the end of each level
- Parent/Tot: ages 6 months to 3 years
- Level 1: Introduction to Water Skills
- Level 2: Fundamental Aquatic Skills
- Level 3: Stroke Development
- Level 4: Stroke Improvement
- Level 5: Stroke Refinement
- Level 6: Personal Water Safety
After Level 1, your child can:
- Enter independently, using either the ramp, steps or side, travel at least 5 yards, bob 5 times, then safely exit the water (Participants can walk, move along the gutter or “swim.”)
- Glide on front at least 2 body lengths, roll to a back floats for 5 seconds, then recover to a vertical position. (This part of the assessment can be performed with assistance.)
After Level 2, your child can:
- Step from the side into the chest-deep water, push off the bottom, move into a treading or floating position for at least 15 seconds, swim on front and/or back for 5 body lengths, then exit the water
- Move into a back float for 15 seconds, roll to front, then recover to a vertical position.
- Push off and swim using combined arm and leg actions on front for 5 body lengths, roll to back, float for 15 seconds, roll to front, continue swimming for 5 body lengths.
After Level 3, your child can:
- Jump into deep water from the side, recover to the surface, maintain position by treading or floating for 1 minute, rotate one full turn, then turn as needed to orient to the exit point, level off, swim front crawl and/or elementary backstroke for 25 yards, then exit the water.
- Push off in a streamlined position, then swim front crawl for 15 yards, change position and direction as needed, swim elementary backstroke for 15 yards, then exit the water.
After Level 4, your child can:
- Perform a feetfirst entry into deep water, swim front crawl for 25 yards, change direction and position as needed and swim elementary backstroke for 25 yards.
- Swim backstroke for 15 yards, change direction and position as needed and swim back crawl for 15 yards.
- Submerge and swim a distance of 3-5 body lengths underwater without hyperventilating, return to the surface, then exit the water.
After Level 5, your child can:
- Perform a shallow-angle dive into deep water at least 9 feet deep, swim front crawl for 50 yards, then swim elementary backstroke for 50 yards using appropriate and efficient turning styles throughout.
- Swim breaststroke for 25 yards, change direction of travel as needed and then swim back crawl for 25 yards using appropriate and efficient turning styles throughout.