The Anderson University Department of Chemistry and Physics was recently awarded a $9,000 grant through the Pittsburgh Conference Memorial National College Grant (PCMNCG) Award Program. The grant will be used to purchase a Fourier transform infrared spectrometer, a scientific instrument that will allow students to identify and characterize unknown chemical compounds. The Pittsburgh Conference and its sponsoring societies, the Society for Analytical Chemists of Pittsburgh (SACP) and The Spectroscopy Society of Pittsburgh (SSP) sponsor the Pittsburgh Conference Memorial National College Grant (PCMNCG) Award Program.
"We are excited about the opportunities this instrument provides to our students,” said Dr. Scott Carr, associate professor of Chemistry. “The FT-IR is state-of-the-art and allows the students to get experience on a piece of equipment that they would commonly encounter in graduates studies and future employment. Without grants like this and the generosity of our alumni it would be difficult to keep our labs current with the advances in our field."
The Pittsburgh Conference Memorial National College Grants Program, originally established in memory of R.K. Scott, 1955 President of the Pittsburgh Conference, serves as a memorial to deceased members of the Pittsburgh Conference Committee by promoting excellence in science education. Through the program, colleges can enhance their science curricula through grants to purchase equipment and course materials. In 1974, two grants of $1,000 each were given. In 2006, at least $115,000 was available for 13 awards. Anderson University’s grant application was one of over 60 applications received for the 2006 grant program.
Funding for the awards is provided by The Pittsburgh Conference on Analytical Chemistry and Applied Spectroscopy. The annual, international event, also known as Pittcon® offers the most comprehensive technical program on analytical chemistry and the largest exhibit of analytical instrumentation, equipment, supplies and services in the world.
The AU Department of Chemistry and Physics consists of four full-time Ph.D. faculty members. Approximately 50 percent of the student body takes at least one course offered by the department. During any given year, the department interacts with roughly 10 percent of the student body enrolled across two freshman level courses, organic chemistry, analytical chemistry, and several upper level courses and independent study programs. The department graduates approximately five chemistry majors per year and provides required courses for nursing, biology, and exercise science majors. Student majors follow a wide range of career paths, the most common being graduate school, medical school, the teaching profession, and local industry.
Anderson University is a private, four-year, Christian liberal arts institution of approximately 2,800 undergraduate and graduate students. Established in 1917 by the Church of God, the university offers more than 60 undergraduate majors and graduate programs in business, education and theology.