Anderson University will soon begin construction on the second phase of York Seminary Village south of Decker Hall. The construction project, consisting of 4 buildings, will be located on the east side of Walnut Street, between 6th and 7th streets, in Anderson. The total project will consist of 20 apartments and a community center in 8 buildings. The first phase of York Seminary Village was dedicated on August 16, 2006. York Seminary Village is made possible through the generous support of Dr. James and Elizabeth York. The project will provide apartment units for students studying through the Anderson University School of Theology and their families.
On October 6, 2006, the university launched a $110 million campaign entitled; “Dreams, Discovery, Direction.” The campaign, set to conclude on May 31, 2010, is the university’s largest fundraising effort and has raised $63.9 million to date toward the goal. Major components of the campaign include $51 million for capital projects, $34 million for endowment and $25 for operational support. For more information about the "Dreams, Discovery, Direction" campaign visit the web site at www.anderson.edu/campaign.
Dr. James and Elizabeth York have given of their time and resources to make a difference in people’s lives. Their giving spirit was what convinced the couple that Dr. York should retire early from his practice of orthopedic surgery so that they could work in mission hospitals throughout Africa. It also prompted them to contribute to the Harry L. and Henrietta Harp Endowed Memorial Fund at Anderson University. And it is one of the primary reasons they created the James M. York, M.D., and Elizabeth H. York Endowed Scholarship Fund through the Anderson University School of Theology.
Mrs. York’s parents, Rev. Harry and Henrietta Harp, were active in the Church of God, and it was in their honor that their children established the Harp Endowed Memorial Fund. The fund supports the Harp Lectures in Christian Theology and Leadership at Anderson University and provides an annual award (known as the Harry L. and Henrietta Harp Memorial Award) to a graduating seminary student who has made the most outstanding accomplishment in congregational ministries. Future plans for the fund include support of a visiting professorship.
Advocates of lifelong learning, the Yorks recently established the York Endowed Scholarship Fund through the Anderson University School of Theology that is designed to reduce tuition expenses for deserving seminary students and promote a healthy diversity within the seminary community.
Mrs. York came to Anderson University in 1949. She later married Dr. James M. York, a graduate of Johns Hopkins University Medical School, and they spent the next several years in various locations as Dr. York completed his orthopedic surgery training. As they traveled, Elizabeth continued her undergraduate studies, graduating from Rutgers University in New Jersey. Dr. York took early retirement after 32 years of practice and volunteered his surgical skills at mission hospitals throughout Africa. The couple served hospitals in Kenya, Cameroon, Botswana, and Zimbabwe. In all, they served as short term missionaries for six years.
Anderson University is a private, four-year, Christian liberal arts institution of approximately 2,800 undergraduate and graduate students. Established in 1917 by the Church of God, the university offers more than 60 undergraduate majors and graduate programs in business, education, music, nursing and theology.